Re: Savannah bug tracker disabled?

From: Matt Rice
Subject: Re: Savannah bug tracker disabled?
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2019 05:30:29 +0000

On Tue, Nov 5, 2019 at 3:20 AM Jordan Schidlowsky <jordan@noodlecake.com> wrote:

> Sent from my iPhone
>
> > On Nov 4, 2019, at 7:39 PM, Matt Rice <ratmice@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> No, I'm not forgetting.

> >> I like this because it means we can take our bug list with us.  I wish
> >> there was a way I could export the bugs from Savannah and import them here.
> >
> > I kind of like this, What I suppose I would really like is if bug
> > reports had good support for markdown format, and you could integrate
> > markdown code blocks directly into the bug thread
> > and extract them as testcases for use in the testsuite.  I don't know
> > if there is anything like that out there, but seems like it could be
> > nice.
> >
> > Sorry kind of random...
>
>  I guess I really don’t get it...  Isn’t this exactly github?

No, not at all like github really.

Because git-bug stores bug reports in repository, i'm saying that you
could automatically extract tests from code blocks within bug reports
for `make check`.

The only real similarity is that both would support markdown, but it
doesn't support it in a way that
allows you to run programs which process the markdown in bug reports
programmatically and are relevant to the repository.

Once you close a bug in github it just goes into a list of closed
things, and doesn't form a basis from which you stop it from
regressing in the future.  The only correlation it has to the
repository is perhaps a line in the commit message referring to the
bug #id...

Bringing bugs into the repository allows for a much stronger correlation.