Re: Savannah bug tracker disabled?

From: Ivan Vučica
Subject: Re: Savannah bug tracker disabled?
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2019 10:46:14 +0000

I’ll answer as if you are asking the question and not asking rhetorically.

Whoever hosts the project takes over the responsibility for:

- storing user credentials
- abuse management
- security and service upgrades
- data migration when moving from service A to service B
- possibly even GDPR and other privacy requests (data portability, right to be forgotten)
- backups AND restores
- service uptime and monitoring (remember, no SLO means 100% uptime which is a terrible impossible-to-reach target)
- administrative overhead and user support
- complaints when things aren’t going right
- deciding who gets administrative credentials to execute all of the above
- deciding how to finance all this ($5 droplet on digital ocean or something more?€
- technical planning for all the above

They take this on even if they are not aware of it.

I’m hosting my own stuff. Aside from development work, for three weeks a quarter hold a pager and/or respond to tickets in my professional life and/or shepherd automated or semiautomated software deployment processes. Something like GNUstep hosting would be less labor than that — but it’s still quite some stuff to be responsible for.

This is even before we get into technical choices you should make and how long it takes to deploy them.

apt-get install $LISTOFPACKAGES won’t cut it.