Re: Savannah bug tracker disabled?

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: Savannah bug tracker disabled?
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2019 10:33:09 +0000

On 04/11/2019 10:26, Umberto Cerrato wrote:
Why don’t you self host your project in your own website? Something like a self
hosted Savannah or similar (there are few around). Then you could: modify the
UI to make it more GitHub-like and user friendly and leave some landing
projects on GitHub, GitLab etc. that redirect to your e.g. subdomain with
hosted files and bug tracker etc.

Because someone needs to do the work (and it costs money). GNUstep barely has enough contributors to maintain the codebase, let alone diverting some of their effort to administering and maintaining a fork of Savannah.

And because that removes the *big* advantage of GitHub: network effects. Since I moved the runtime to GitHub, I've had more drive-by issue reports and pull requests than I ever had when it was maintained on our infrastructure. Most people already have a GitHub account, so filing an issue requires under a minute. Once they've done it, they're invested enough to follow up with help debugging. If they've cloned the code and have a small fix, it's easy for someone to send a PR. The only way that self-hosted infrastructure to be close to this frictionless is if we use GitHub for authentication, and at that point why not just use GitHub?

David