Re: Which ObjC2.0 features are missing in the latest GCC?

From: Maxthon Chan
Subject: Re: Which ObjC2.0 features are missing in the latest GCC?
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2019 19:58:57 +0800

> On Nov 24, 2019, at 7:27 PM, Andreas Fink <afink@list.fink.org> wrote:
>

>> On 24 Nov 2019, at 10:11, Max Chan <xcvista@me.com> wrote:
>>
>> I would like to add another plus for dropping GCC: if we want any hope for
>> Swift interworking, we have to use clang as the compiler.
>>
>> Apple have no plan to provide any GUI support on Linux version of Swift.
>
> Theres some folks out there working on SwiftUI for other platforms as far as
> I know.

But none working on AppKit. My point is that GNUstep GUI can provide the AppKit
part on top of Apple’s Swift release over Swift interworking.

> Is this really true? Interoperability with Swift in my eyes is important for
> the future

It depends on Swift interworking, and we have to refactor GUI so it uses only
public Foundation API. Doing this means we also have to extend Apple’s
Foundation (likely a fork) so it covers all the features omitted in the
official release using our own GNUstep Base code, either via interworking, or
by us rewriting it into Swift code.

I am also not a fan of Swift and prefer to stick to Objective-C with ARC for my
projects. I have a few projects that depends pretty heavily on Objective-C
runtime introspection, none of which works well with Swift as those are
implemented using NSProxy semantics.