Re: Code of Conduct...

From: Svetlana Tkachenko
Subject: Re: Code of Conduct...
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2020 21:12:57 +1100

Happy (upcoming) New Year indeed, all.

A few thoughts:

* Personally, would be interested in working from problem to solution, not the
other way around. I haven't seen problematic people on the list. (Please
correct me if this is false.)
* At the very least suggest to have a procedure to alter the CoC in the case it
is approved.
* Re "Contributor Covenant Code of Conduct" - What contributor? A person with
git push access? a ML member? an IRC channel member? A definition would be
needed.
* "We as members, contributors, and leaders pledge to make participation in our
community a harassment-free experience for everyone, regardless of [...].".
What about private messaging (email to a person rather than on list)? Is that
still "in our community" or not?
* In my opinion such pledge may be unnecessary, it is already the law in most
jurisdictions.
* "We pledge to act and interact in ways that contribute to an open, welcoming,
diverse, inclusive, and healthy community." I think it would be more valuable
for people here to create good mentoring or documentation infrastructure, run
hackathons, pair contributors based on timezone or interest, etc. This
initiative does not have to be limited to the leader. Pledging such actionable
items would in my opinion be more fruitful and perhaps less intimidating with
paperwork.

Did not read much further. Hope this may help Gregory or others to decide the
appropriate way forward.