Re: Code of Conduct...

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: Code of Conduct...
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2020 12:15:41 +0100

Hi,

On 12/28/20 9:13 AM, H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:
Before adopting the Contributor Covenant take the time to discuss and decide how to
deal with problems as they emerge. Document the policy and procedure for
enforcement, and add it to your README or in another visible, appropriate place.
Consider if your project team has the willingness and maturity to follow through on
your enforcement procedures."

So I am quite sure it will create more problems (while discussing these topics)
instead of solving a single one (like having more users, more developers, fix
bugs, improve documentation etc.).

And, I have seen so many projects and societies having such codes but those who
should care don't. And those who already do have to read/sign more paperwork.

Yes... a "solution" in search for a Problem?

I think our Project (as many other free software Projects) has different issues. I have never had real issues here in this project since a long time with "contributors", at most, bad personal attacks and defamation on the mailing list or on IRC! But would those people all need to "sign" that covenant? Does such covenant has any sense at all? Would it solve them? not at all.

Furthermore, I read that covenant (I don't like that term at, to begin with) and it looks like a legalese mumbo-jumbo of social justice, dripping with politics which seems more apt for a company than free project. So while I share the basic concept, I would not like to "sign" it. A free-time project, not a company.

I'd prefer if the project would not adopt such a thing.

For me, the primary goals of a free software project are different. I want to advance humanity with code, provide code that everybody shall be free to use, on as many operating systems, compilers, architectures possible.

I will be happy if I can avoid somebody throwing away a computer because free software still supports it or avoids some vendor lock-in by using free code.

So, please not.

Riccardo