Re: [DMCA-Activists] MSNBC / AP on "Trusted Computing"

From: Jean-Michel Smith
Subject: Re: [DMCA-Activists] MSNBC / AP on "Trusted Computing"
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2002 08:28:52 -0600

On Thursday 07 November 2002 06:54 am, Ruben Safir wrote:

> But they probibly would have been able to do this if You Jay
> and Brett didn't screw up the efforts of NY Fair Use because we
> would have been all over the press right after July.  But your
> ego's were more important than real political action, and you
> just continue to chase ghosts like a dog chasing it's tail.

I don't know what the underlying arguments, politics, interpersonal
animosities, or what have you, are, but I can tell you this:

There are destructive ways to approach differences, and there are constructive
ways to approach differences.

If you really do care more about digital freedom, you feel the tactics or
strategy of seth and his volunteers is flawed, and this isn't just an
egoistic pissing match between the two of you, then instead of sniping on
public lists everytime seth reports on an action his folks have taken why
don't you go out and do something YOU feel would be more constructive, and
report back to the list?

That would make infinitely more sense than sniping others (however justified
or not), and has the added advantage that if you are right and he is wrong,
then what needs to be done is getting done.  In addition, it has the
advantage (to the entire effort, not you or seth or anyone else personally)
in that if you are wrong, and he is right, then what needs to be done is
still getting done and you are at least not detracting from those efforts.

Frankly the more people who are aware of these issues, who are thinking about
them, and perhaps even volunteering to get out and spread the word, the
better off we'd all be, irrespective of our political or social affiliations.

So please, if you guys must fight battles, fight them in such a way that both
of you are adding postive value to the efforts to prevent our loss of digital
freedom.  A contest to see who is more effective in spreading the word,
getting media attention, and getting work done makes a lot more sense to me
than simply deriding one another.

My 2 uninformed cents, from the peanut gallary.

Jean.