Re: [DMCA-Activists] Leaflets

From: Dan Barrett
Subject: Re: [DMCA-Activists] Leaflets
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 15:35:58 -0500

Twaddle:
  I'm not sure the general public can make the leap from DMCA to their own
lives no matter how hard we leaflet.  At this point, it's still a fairly
complex topic (ever try to explain your DeCSS t-shirt to a colleague in
thirty seconds or less?  I end up either oversimplifying or sounding like the
Unabomber).
  The other day I was trying to make a point about the implications of
so-called "Digital Rights Management" schemes to one of my most cynical,
well-informed friends -- like me, a card-carrying member of the ACLU.  She
cut me off:  "Who cares?  I just want to rent movies without having to go to
the video store."  That's what it boils down to.  As Jello Biafra put it,
give me convenience or give me death.  I have watched people apply for a
credit card to get the following items for "free":
- a bag of Skittles
- a pair of sunglasses
- a paper-thin beach towel
- a t-shirt with the credit card company's logo on it

  If you're willing to trade all control over personal financial data for a
freaking beach towel, then you're not going to understand the implications of
the DMCA until you get burned.  It won't sink in until you cannot do
something which you used to be able to do (e.g. check out a book from the
library).
Similarly, corporations think the disemboweling of fair use is a great idea
until they get burned: witness MIT Press's recent decision to assert their
fair use rights in the face of unreasonable demands from the copyright
holders
(http://cyberlaw.stanford.edu/lessig/blog/archives/2003_03.shtml#001018).
  So, how has DMCA changed our rights, in concrete terms?  That's your leaflet
material.

Yours,
d.

--