Re: [DotGNU]IDE proposal - Eclipse/SharpDevelop announcement

From: David Sugar
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]IDE proposal - Eclipse/SharpDevelop announcement
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2002 04:36:43 -0500

How much does eclipse really differ from netbeans? I think the latter is also on a strange public license of some sort.

Seth Johnson wrote:

Mike Krüger wrote:

I've looked at Eclipse and it falls under the CPL (Common
Public License).
And this is as far as I remember this is a "free" license. (correct me, if
I'm wrong).

From http://www.fsf.org/licenses/license-list.html:

Common Public License Version 0.5 This is a free software license but it is incompatible with the GPL. The Common Public License is incompatible with the GPL
because it has various specific requirements that are not in
the GPL.
For example, it requires certain patent licenses be given
that the GPL does not require. (We don't think those patent
license requirements are inherently a bad idea, but
nonetheless they are incompatible with the GNU GPL.)