Re: tooltip-delay

From: Robert J. Chassell
Subject: Re: tooltip-delay
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 09:48:48 -0400 (EDT)

   > So how about 0.7 seconds, for example?

   Why not make it a Lisp variable the user can customize ?

In GNU Emacs 21.1.50.1, `tooltip-delay' is customizable.

The question is what its default ought to be.

There has been research on this.  What do the human factors people
suggest for a delay?

I assume results have been published, but perhaps not.  If the results
have not been published, and you have access to the appropriate
packages that many people use, try different setting until the Emacs
default matches what newbies nowadays are going to expect.

I would guess that 0.6 seconds would be fine, but have not done any
study of this; and I suspect that no one on this list is himself or
herself an exemplar of the kind for person for which this feature has
been created.  So I don't think we can use our personal experience as
a guide, the way we can about dired or file name formats for tramp.

(Looking at my .emacs file, I find that I set `tooltip-delay' to 0.1
second when I first learned about them; then I reconfigured Emacs and
have not seen them since; and have not missed them.)

--
    Robert J. Chassell                  address@hidden
    Rattlesnake Enterprises             http://www.rattlesnake.com