Re: tooltip-delay

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: tooltip-delay
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 13:08:34 -0400

> There has been research on this.  What do the human factors people
> suggest for a delay?

Agreed.  The only reason why I chimed in originally is that tooltips
are enabled by default so we should take into account the fact that
a short tooltip delay might annoy experienced users (even though it
might be recommended by UI studies, if they only studied it in a context
where experienced people turned them off).

If we expect experienced users to turn off their tooltips, then we
can shorten the time, but otherwise we might want to be careful.

        Stefan