Re: address@hidden: some other observations on pcomplete]

From: John Wiegley
Subject: Re: address@hidden: some other observations on pcomplete]
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 12:44:21 -0700

> Maybe it would also be a good idea to configure pcomplete in the
> same way everywhere (by default), to get uniform behavior.

This is not a bad idea.  Although, with the minibuffer prompting
recommended earlier, would that be enough to allow cycling to be the
default?  Cycling is so much easier to use once you get used to it.

> Also, I gather that with pcomplete it's possible to complete on
> command arguments, as well.  That's tres cool.  The old completion
> doesn't offer that.

Yes, pcomplete search for a plain Lisp function, pcomplete/NAME, for
every command.  This function's responsibility is to return a list of
possible completions for the current argument index (with full access
to all previous arguments, and the text before point).  If more people
start using pcomplete, I would hope to see more customized completion
written for Emacs.  Already it is very smart with regard to GNU make,
tar and cvs.

John