Re: Bug in format-time-string in emacs 21.1?

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: Bug in format-time-string in emacs 21.1?
Date: 12 Mar 2002 21:35:54 +0000

address@hidden (Pavel Janík) writes:

>    From: Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>
>    Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 07:59:31 +0200 (IST)
>
>    > > I think I've found a bug in the format-time-string function. In the
>    > > documentation it says that the construct %h gives the abbreviated
> month
>    > > name. I doesn't seem to work with 21.1. The %b construct still works.
>    >
>    > I think this is a known problem with the MS-Windows time routines: they
>
> We should mention it in PROBLEMS then. Jason?

It turns out that %h is marked in the source code as a POSIX.2
extension, along with quite a few other format specifiers (which are
also not supported on Windows).

Rather than putting a note in PROBLEMS specific to %h on Windows, it
might be better to modify the doc-string for format-time-string, to
make it clear which specifiers are guaranteed to work, and which are
POSIX.2 or GNU extensions, and will only work on plaforms that
support them.

Alternatively, we could introduce more conditional blocks to
strftime.c to do something sensible with the POSIX.2 extensions on
platforms that only support POSIX.1 formats.  I think most of them
could be handled without too much effort.

--
Jason Rumney