Re: Assignment of misc packages for emacs

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: Assignment of misc packages for emacs
Date: 15 May 2002 23:37:28 +0200

Miles Bader <address@hidden> writes:

> address@hidden (Kim F. Storm) writes:
> > E.g. I have the following mini-menu bound to F8:
> >
> >         QUERY: r)egexp s)tring t)ags  ALL: R)egexp S)tring
> >
> > (defvar replace-mini-menu '(...))
>
> So it's basically equivalent to
>
> (defun mini-menu (menu)
>   (message (mapconcat #'cadr menu "  "))
>   (call-interactively (or (nth 2 (assoc (read-char) menu))
>                           (error "Unknown key"))))

Essentially, yes.  There are a few more twists to it, but you got
the essentials right!

However, I was advocating for adding a very simple way for packages
to query the user for "trivial" selections as an alternative to
using keymaps and adding prompting at the same time...

> I'm not sure this warrants a whole separate package...  [does it do more?]

No, it could be added to simple.el if people agree.

However, there are a couple of functions using the mini-menu, two of
which have already been mentioned here:

F8 -> QUERY: r)egexp s)tring t)ags  ALL: R)egexp S)tring
C-x C-g -> EMACS file: .)emacs c)ustom l)isp s(i)te-lisp e(x)ec s)rc