Re: Divergence in menu appearance between Emacs Info and standalone Info

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Divergence in menu appearance between Emacs Info and standalone Info
Date: Thu, 05 Jun 2003 06:57:53 -0400

    In the example at hand,
    * Foo: A Node about Foo: ...
    the user will select `Foo', but then end up at `A Node about Foo', with
    no real way of making the connection between them.

Actually I don't think the user would be very surprised if he followed
a link named "foo" and ended up in a node named "A Node about Foo".
They are clearly about the same topic.

    I gather the default is to hide the node names.  Because of the problems
    above, I suggest making the default to show them, i.e., the traditional
    behavior.

Since experienced people won't be bothered by the node names,
this is tantamount to taking out the feature of hiding them.

I would rather make standalone Info hide them too.  So please do
ask the other developers.

      However, I think it
    would be ok to simply say in info.texi, `Emacs Info does it this way,
    and standalone Info does it that way'.

That is fine when both descriptions are short, but in this case the
differences are in numerous places in the node.  It may look very ugly
to describe both alternatives.  Could you try?