Re: Idea for compilation mode

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Idea for compilation mode
Date: 06 Jun 2003 11:49:37 +0200

Stephan Stahl <address@hidden> writes:

> Miles Bader <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > There seems to be something of a consensus developing in this
> > thread for using `C-x C-n' and `C-x C-p' for next/previous-error,
> > moving mark-page to `C-x p', and simply removing the default
> > binding for set-goal-column.
>
> If set-goal-column should be on a key maybe C-x , can be used. Thats
> not far away from the old C-x C-n and C-x . which is directly beside
> would be somehow similar in function (set-fill-prefix).  I think we
> should stop soon or we'll end up remapping all keys :-).

Which would not be the worst thing.  As I said, it would be a viable
task for the TODO list to go through the existing, historically grown
keymappings with a fine comb, try to compare the probable usefulness
of mappings with their mnemonic characteristics and their awkwardness
(taking non-American keyboard layouts somewhat into mind as well) or
non-existence, and try to develop something better suited for
accessing the currently available functionality.

Language reform processes suffer a similar combination of growing
necessity, getting rid of obsolescent features that have fallen into
disuse, resistance from people accustomed to the old bindings, polling
people for what they commonly use for circumventing perceived
shortcomings and so on.

As I said, TODO list material.  A good task, but needing considerable
effort if done right and thoroughly.