Re: porting GNU Emacs to kde (?)

From: Giannis Georgalis
Subject: Re: porting GNU Emacs to kde (?)
Date: 20 Mar 2004 22:05:00 +0200

David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:

Hello David,

> Yes.  Personally, I don't understand RMS' "it would not be right for
> Emacs to have more support for KDE than for GNOME" mostly as an
> admonition that one should not proceed hastily towards a KDE solution
> and later find that one made design decisions that complicate
> integrating Emacs into GNOME.  But that would certainly hold to a
> certain degree also the other way round.  I don't think that one
> should require any KDE coder interested in that project to work slower
> or worse than her GNOME counterpart.  The situation would be
> embarrassing, yes, but that would not be the fault of KDE.

I fully understand the claim that a KDE port that precedes the GNOME
effort may impose certain difficulties to the later. RMS was right to
point that out. Apart from the "embarrassing" factor, Emacs would be
filled with nasty hacks in order to be able to support both designs
and that's not good.

I personally would be very interested in working to that direction
(making Emacs a Component(TM)) (time permitting of-course). I'm not
in any way affiliated with KDE nor GNOME, so what I had in mind was a
combined effort with the same code-base that would make both the KDE
and the GNOME port easier for the following reasons:

1) No duplication of efforts.
2) A more elegant design that will support both GNOME and KDE without
imposing maintainability problems to the Emacs code base.
3) I'm not at all familiar with the Emacs internals, so I was hopping
that a possible cooperation with the GNOME hackers (the ones that
ported Emacs to gtk2), would make the process easier (;-)).

Thank you,
Giannis

--
 Object-oriented programming is an exceptionally bad
idea which could only have originated in California.