Re: deleting rcs keywords from emacs sources

From: spiegel
Subject: Re: deleting rcs keywords from emacs sources
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 09:51:11 +0000 (GMT)

> [...] and as far as I know aren't really particularly useful,
> so I'd like to simply delete them from the
> emacs sources.

I absolutely, positively couldn't live without them. I have in fact doubts
whether
intelligent life on earth would be possible at all without them. Of course
that could be just me, so I'm open for counter-arguments :-)

I have used these keywords on countless occasions in VC maintenance. I don't
know how I should identify the file versions that people are talking about
without these stamps inside the files.  It is true that as long as people
use vanilla code from an Emacs release, they can always say "I have this
problem with VC from Emacs 21.x", but it is still easier for me if they
just say "vc.el version 1.311 barfs on me".  Then I don't have to go looking
which version we shipped with Emacs 21.x (if a release tag was applied at
all).

Identifying the version becomes impossible when I send people an updated copy
of vc.el (which I often do), or they grab it from CVS.
What other means would be available?  Should I ask for an md5sum of the
file, or a copy of the file itself and diff it against my copy?

If the headers are a problem during merging, I think it would be very
worthwhile
to implement a way for the merge operation to ignore them. That would be
helpful for many people like myself for whom the version headers are an
integral part of their work routine. (Incidentally, a user once reported
a VC bug to me in an old version that didn't have headers in the file, and
he was astonished that he couldn't find any.)

As I said, I am certainly open for alternatives (incidentally, does your remark
mean that arch doesn't have version headers at all, Miles)?

Sorry for the rough writeup and the unfamiliar e-mail address, I'm writing from
a customer site.

Andre