Re: Suggestion: Mapping of M-g should be goto-line

From: Jari Aalto+mail.linux
Subject: Re: Suggestion: Mapping of M-g should be goto-line
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 02:11:16 +0200

* 2004-03-25 no-spam <AT> cua.dk (Kim Storm) gmane.emacs.devel
* <http://groups.google.com/groups?oi=djq&address@hidden>
| Danilo Segan <dsegan <AT> gmx.net> writes:
|
| > Hi Jari,  Lucas, Juanma,
|
| > > And, ` is on AltGR 7 here, so basically absolutely unusable on French
| > > keyboard layouts. Of course next-error is bound to something else
| >
| > Which would only go so far to recommend assigning M-g to next-error,
| > perhaps? ;)
|

| This brings me to another pet of mine ...
|
|          M-x compile and M-x recompile
|
| What about using a new "compile prefix" C-x c with bindings like:
|
| C-x c c => compile
| C-x c r => recompile
| C-x c n => next error
| C-x c p => prev error
| C-x c g => grep

Excellent idea

| C-x c l => goto-line

But not this. The whole point of M-g being so useful for goto-line
is its sing keys nature. If it were put to C-x c l ir to any other
key that requires "more keystrokes", it just don't cut the idea.

It's not just question of Being gogo-line mapping, it really needs to
be M-g. The de facto, that it has been for years in the user
community. Let's follow what's already there.

I would hate wasting keystrokes to reach other than M-g in a
PHP debugging sessions - staring those Web page errors.

It's fortunately Alt-g in my keyboard. For other systems I warrant
goto-line to a function key of its own. It's really essential for
fluent programming.

Jari

--
http://tiny-tools.sourceforge.net/