Re: deleting rcs keywords from emacs sources

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: deleting rcs keywords from emacs sources
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 11:45:33 -0500

    The user doesn't have
    CVS access, my fix is not readily backported into the version of the
    file he has, so I send him the entire current source file.  Later, that
    person has another problem, and reports it along with the version number
    of the file I sent him.  Without version numbers in the files, this is
    very difficult, if not impossible to keep track of.

I can follow how this is useful for you.  I would guess that only a
few Lisp file maintainers do this, though.

If you put a date manually into the files when you send an entire
file to someone, it would achieve the same purpose, right?
You'd be doing it manually instead of automatically.

How much extra work would that impose on you?
(It depends on how often you actually do this.)