Re: Suggestion: Mapping of M-g should be goto-line

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Suggestion: Mapping of M-g should be goto-line
Date: 28 Mar 2004 15:50:13 +0200

Joachim Nilsson <address@hidden> writes:

> On 03/28/04 06:25, Richard Stallman wrote:
> >     The TeXmacs people chose M-A-b, M-A-i, etc. for bold and italic resp.
> > I don't think it is possible to type M-A- characters on most
> > keyboards.  How would you do it?
>
> I don't know of other environments than Sun and COTS PC's.
> On the PC's I run there is _always_ a Windows-key on the
> left-hand side of the keyboard between Ctrl and Alt. This key
> in XFree86 is mapped to Alt, whereas the actual Alt is mapped
> to Meta (or if it is the other way around).
>
> I'm not suggesting this is the best solution, but it actually
> works - and might be suitable for us that want to see Emacs
> as a useful environment for both documenting (LaTeX/TeXinfo/RTF)
> and programming (M-g => goto-line). I know I do.

This is usually maps as the Super-modifier in Emacs, and as opposed to
the Meta-Key it does not have a keyboard workaround.  If we wanted to
place font selection commands on the Super-key, that is a widely free
area yet.  It would be an idea to open that for text processing
functions in general.  However, we would still need to have a
reasonably uncomplicated other method for keying stuff like this in
even on text terminals: a text terminal is sufficient for, say,
writing LaTeX texts, and this should remain so.

If we declare the Super-Domain open for text processing, the obvious
keyboard translation for "Super" would be M-s, and the previous
function "center-line" could be placed on M-s c as it can be seen as a
text processing function (in LaTeX mode, this probably should place a
"center" environment instead).