Re: Improved help from minibuffer prompts

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Improved help from minibuffer prompts
Date: 14 Apr 2004 10:22:49 +0900

Stefan Reichör <address@hidden> writes:
> > How about having the completion-help display code[*] do it:
> > when showing completions, if there's only a single unique completion,
> > show instead the help buffer.
>
> I don't think, one can use '?' for the example above.
> Or do I miss something here?

Ah... you're right!  I was completely confused about what you're
suggesting.

You were describing a way of getting help _after_ a command has been
started, whereas what I described is a way of getting help _before_
doing so.

I guess both could be useful, but to address your suggestion
specifically:

It seems like a good idea to me; the main question I have is whether
having F1 (or C-h) act differently in the minibuffer is natural for most
users or not.  As the normal help-menu binding for those keys already
acts weirdly in the minibuffer -- it doesn't display the help prompt --
maybe that suggests that it's unusual to use them in the minibuffer.

-Miles
--
[|nurgle|]  ddt- demonic? so quake will have an evil kinda setting? one that
            will  make every christian in the world foamm at the mouth?