Re: Improved help from minibuffer prompts

From: Stefan Reichör
Subject: Re: Improved help from minibuffer prompts
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 07:35:43 +0200

Hi Miles!

> Ah... you're right!  I was completely confused about what you're
> suggesting.
>
> You were describing a way of getting help _after_ a command has been
> started, whereas what I described is a way of getting help _before_
> doing so.
>
> I guess both could be useful, but to address your suggestion
> specifically:
>
> It seems like a good idea to me; the main question I have is whether
> having F1 (or C-h) act differently in the minibuffer is natural for most
> users or not.  As the normal help-menu binding for those keys already
> acts weirdly in the minibuffer -- it doesn't display the help prompt --
> maybe that suggests that it's unusual to use them in the minibuffer.

I have the following use for the C-h bindings from the minibuffer:
C-h b to describe the bindings

I think that binding should be still accessible.

I think of two possibilities to get the command help explained by me:
f1           ... preferred by me - easy accessible (f1 bindings are
                 still on the C-h map available)
f1 <return>  ... One key more to type, F1 map is untouched

Stefan.