Re: Emacs Explorer?

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Emacs Explorer?
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 08:33:56 -0400

On Thu, Apr 22, 2004 at 01:52:39PM +0200, Jan D. wrote:
> Exactly what is inconsistent?  That mouse down does not clear the selected
> part or that it doesn't set mark, or something else?  Note that it is only
> when clicking on some selected text and dragging that the behaviour
> differs.  If clicking outside selected text, or not dragging, we can keep
> the old behaviour.

To tell the truth, I hate the D&D-by-dragging-selected-text behavior of other
apps (in particular, mozilla), because it's damn touchy -- often I'll try to
click to make the selected region collapse, but accidentally drag a _little
bit_, which ends up invoking the D&D behavior...

The same thing happens with other interfaces where dragging vs. clicking
makes a significant difference (e.g., trying to edit the filename of a
selected icon in windows -- _infuriating_!), it just seems like poor design.

-Miles
--
97% of everything is grunge