Re: Emacs Installer for MS Windows

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Emacs Installer for MS Windows
Date: 24 Aug 2004 14:33:01 -0400

> I tend to disagree here but I may be misunderstanding something. As I have
> seen it the order of execution is

> 1) site-start.el
> 2) .emacs
> 3) default.el

> Emacs customization (i. e. custom-set-variables and custom-set-faces) are
> run in .emacs normally.  This mean I can use the the customization if
> I load things from default.el.  I can't do that from site-start.el.  Or?

I guess it depends on what you want to do in default.el.  I've just always
found it harder as a user when I was given a place (such as .emacs) where
I had to take into account future changes (as in: set toto here so that
later code in default.el will change foo to bar) as opposed to being
provided a state (setup by site-start.el) and being able to change it
directly without havnig to know or worry about what might come later.

But without more concrete details, it's difficult to discuss this.

        Stefan