Re: Emacs Installer for MS Windows

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Emacs Installer for MS Windows
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 21:31:24 +0200

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stefan Monnier" <address@hidden>

> I guess it depends on what you want to do in default.el.  I've just always
> found it harder as a user when I was given a place (such as .emacs) where
> I had to take into account future changes (as in: set toto here so that
> later code in default.el will change foo to bar) as opposed to being
> provided a state (setup by site-start.el) and being able to change it
> directly without havnig to know or worry about what might come later.
>
> But without more concrete details, it's difficult to discuss this.

Ok, I believe we think the same way. What I want to do is just add some
things to make it more easy to get started using Emacs for an ms windows
user:

1) Gnuserv is loaded

2) Some windows specific printing entries to the menus since printing
otherwise tends to be a problem when you start with Emacs on ms windows. I
also remove the unix-related printing entries from the menus because they do
not work or do not work as you expect them to. Of course I make this as
customization options.

3) I also offer some keyboard tweaks (CUA-mode, swbuff.el tighed to C-tab)
that can be good for an ms windows user. It is of course also in this case
very important that they are customization options.

4) recentf.el are also added, most ms windows programs has something like
this.

If no one has a good objection I will load things from default.el then. I
will do this by loading one file only from default.el to not clutter
default.el.

- Lennart