Re: Emacs Installer for MS Windows

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Emacs Installer for MS Windows
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 20:27:41 +0200

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stefan" <address@hidden>

> >> let's say I start your Emacs and see "gee he turned on CUA-mode, that
> > sucks
> >> for me".  What do I do?  Normally, to turn CUA off, a user should do
> >> (CUA-mode -1) or you use custom.  Your site-start.el or default.el
changes
> >> should correctly react to either one of those things.
>
> > I turn on the options just as if the user had used "Options - Customize
> > Emacs" so I do not believe it is a problem.
>
> Huh?  How do you do that?  If you call custom-set-variables in
site-start.el
> or default.el, it won't be the same as if you called it in .emacs because
> the user has no way to change those settings AFAIK.  Have you tried it?

I do it by calling emacs this way

    emacs.exe -l set-vars.el -f kill-emacs

where set-vars.el contains something like

    (put 'custom-var 'saved-value (list "custom value"))
    (custom-save-all)

As Stefan has pointed out to me this will only affect the user that is
installing Emacs. However I think that is no big problem on ms windows.

I do not feel really comfortable with this solution since it requires
internal knowledge of custom, but I can't find any other way. If there is
one, please tell me.

- Lennart