Re: $HOME default on w32

From: Cheng Gao
Subject: Re: $HOME default on w32
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 14:58:06 +0800

I know %USERPROFILE% points to user directory.

And I still oppose the idea to use it as $HOME for Emacs.

There are different Windows - 95/98/98SE/Millenium/XP/2003 etc.
As I said, if you need reinstall or upgrade, the result depends on what
Windows you are using.

It's possible the dir old %USERPROFILE% pointed to may be removed, then
recreated (with same dir names).
It's possible a new dir may be created with COMPUTERNAME or WINDOWS as
suffix and %USERPROFILE% redirected to new dir.

And I think even the most alert user may forget to backup. I know you
are all powerful users, but I dont think all Emacs users are advanced
and alert enough.

After all, it gains very few than using C:\ as $HOME, and has potential
to lose data.

--
相濡以沫,不如相忘于江湖。