Re: $HOME default on w32

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: $HOME default on w32
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 13:53:37 -0400

> Personally, I think that $HOME (~) should be CSIDL_PERSONAL, and that's good
> enough for now.

>From a Unix point of view, $HOME should be (as far as possible) "the highest
user-specific directory", so that everything that belongs to the user is
below ~.

I think that's why I feel like HOME == USERPROFILE makes more sense.

And since non-user-generated files (like ~/.emacs if it comes from Custom,
or ~/.emacs.d/auto-save-list) are put below $HOME, I feel like "My
Documents" would be wrong.

I have no interest in following W32 practice: I just want to get Emacs
working as well as it can in this inhospitable (because non-Unixy)
environment.  Using C:\ is clearly wrong on systems where C:\ is not
writable or where there are multiple users.

        Stefan