Re: $HOME default on w32

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: $HOME default on w32
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 22:24:29 +0200

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jason Rumney" <address@hidden>

: Stefan <address@hidden> writes:
:
: > It seems that on w32, if HOME is not defined we default it to C:/.
: > Wouldn't it make more sense to default it to $USERPOFILE (if set)
: > which on XP seems to typically point to C:/Documents and
: > Files/<user> which is about as close to a "home directory" as it gets?
:
: The thought has occured to me in the past.
:
: We'd need to make sure that existing users who have Emacs related
: files in C:\ are accounted for. We could perhaps have the installer
: offer to move their files to $USERPROFILE, but do we know the full set
: of files we might have to move (including files for external tools
: that inherit the Emacs process environment when run from Emacs)?
:
: The other (easier and hopefully less error prone) option is to check
: at startup if c:\.emacs exists when defaulting HOME. Is it realistic
: to expect that a user has no other files in HOME that would be
: affected if .emacs does not yet exist?

I believe the easier route is the way to go! I think the check for c:\.emacs
is enough.

- Lennart