Re: $HOME default on w32

From: Peter Whaite
Subject: Re: $HOME default on w32
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 16:49:14 -0400

> > Personally, I think that $HOME (~) should be CSIDL_PERSONAL, and that's good
> > enough for now.
>
> From a Unix point of view, $HOME should be (as far as possible) "the highest
> user-specific directory", so that everything that belongs to the user is
> below ~.
>
> I think that's why I feel like HOME == USERPROFILE makes more sense.
>
> And since non-user-generated files (like ~/.emacs if it comes from Custom,
> or ~/.emacs.d/auto-save-list) are put below $HOME, I feel like "My
> Documents" would be wrong.

I have to agree with Stephan.

David Korn's UWIN also puts HOME under USERPROFILE, and I find that
convenient as its very useful to have your ksh ~/.profile follow you
around when you have a roaming windows profile.  That doesn't happen
with emacs' SYSTEMDRIVE home (and if I recall correctly that's where the
earlier versions of UWIN had it too).

Furthermore it doesn't seem right to put configuration files in "My
Documents" -- its a place for your documents.  Accessing them is natural
with a USERPROFILE home.  Its "~/My Documents".

I definitely dont like the idea of "windows correctness" as that would
place ~/.emacs under something like "USERPROFILE/Application
Data/GNU/Emacs".  Then if you wanted to get to your documents you'd have
to use "~/../../../My Documents/"

--
Peter Whaite (http://whaite.ca)