Re: kmacro.texi

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: kmacro.texi
Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2004 15:17:21 +0100

> I am sure most users only occasionally define a keyboard macro, and
> don't have so many that they need to look at the definitions through a
> ring.  Users who define keyboard macros often enough to want this
> feature are surely few in number.
>
>     And C-x e e e ...  already does something very similar.
>     Nobody has complained about that so far.
>
>     And C-u C-SPC C-SPC C-SPC ...
>
> These are much more limited--but indeed the first of them bothers me.

We could change the defaults:

(setq kmacro-repeat-no-prefix nil)
(setq kmacro-call-repeat-key nil)

Then the "non-spirit" behaviour would have to be enabled explicitly
by a user.  And we wouldn't have to write a lot of new code for the
(as you say) rarely used kmacro history feature.

>     With your proposal, I have to mess up the window layout just to rotate
>     the macro ring
>
> I don't think that is a valid conclusion.  Exiting this mode
> in the "usual" way could restore the old window layout.

True, it could work.

But I would prefer if we just change the defaults (and fix the docs)
as described above.  Would that be ok?