Re: nnrss not compatible with www.onlamp.com

From: Mark A. Hershberger
Subject: Re: nnrss not compatible with www.onlamp.com
Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2004 10:56:44 -0500

Henrik Holmboe <address@hidden> writes:

> Ok. I very seldomly install software from source since every piece
> then needs "manual" updating in contrast to Debian's APT binary
> packages.

Me, too.

Of course, I have a Debian package that builds from CVS source every
night...  Still, when CVS doesn't build out-of-the-box, the package
doesn't update.

> With that in mind, would you recommend me to install the whole thing
> (Emacs+Gnus) from source or just pull xml.el (and possibly other
> relevant files) and use dpkg-divert to still be able to use updates
> from Debian untill xml.el is up to the version needed?

When I install something for emacs, and it isn't debian-ized, yet, I
put it in my ~/.elisp directory (which is at the front of my
load-path).

Alternatively, you can use the debian package that I created.  Add the
following to your /etc/apt/sources.list:

    deb http://mah.everybody.org/debian/ unstable .

After updating, you should be able to install "xml-el".

If this is useful, then I'll have it build nightly.

Mark.

--
A choice between one man and a shovel, or a dozen men with teaspoons
is clear to me, and I'm sure it is clear to you also.