Re: Bootstrap fails on w32

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: Bootstrap fails on w32
Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 15:26:11 +0200 (CEST)

> > So the Windows release contains mostly non-DOS line ends?
>
> Yes.
>
> > Is that a good idea?
>
> I don't see anything wrong with it.  Emacs certainly doesn't have
> any problems with Unix EOLs, and most modern development tools don't
> have such problems either.

Personally, I don't like having a mix of Unix and DOS EOLs.  The
standard solution with many other programs is to store text files with
Unix EOLs in the CVS and to provide a .zip file for Windows and DOS
created which has CRLF line endings for text files.

A disadvantage is that we have both a .tar.gz (or .tar.bz2) and a .zip
file, but we have two advantages, namely that the CVS sources have
consistent line endings, and the Windows user gets proper line endings
too.  Note that .zip archives are normally preferred by Windows and
MSDOS users.

BTW, there are some binary files which aren't tagged as binary in the
CVS:

  lisp/toolbar/back_arrow.pbm
  lisp/toolbar/fwd_arrow.pbm
  mac/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/Emacs.icns
  msdos/emacs.ico
  msdos/emacs.pif

And some files have CRLF without a need -- at least I can't see a
reason to have them:

  MISC-DIC/cangjie-table.b5
  MISC-DIC/cangjie-table.cns

These files are accidentally tagged as binary but they aren't:

  lisp/toolbar/diropen.xpm
  lisp/toolbar/lc-*.xpm
  lisp/toolbar/reply-*.xpm

    Werner