Re: Editing exportet registry files

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: Editing exportet registry files
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2005 20:01:14 +0200

On 7/1/05, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:

> Shouldn't the utf-x files with signature be quite in front of the list
> of detected coding systems?  I mean, that's what the signature is good
> for in the first place, right?

Well, yeah, but FF and FE *are* valid characters in many encodings.
Latin encodings for most european language environments are going to
be higher up the priority list, for example. It makes no sense putting
utf-* encodings before the others unless you know beforehand that
you're going to deal with a lot of these files.

And there's an UTF-8 language environment, after all, for people who
routinely deals with utf-8 data. Are there environments (operating
systems, language environments, whatever) where utf-16 is the norm?

--
                    /L/e/k/t/u