Re: Editing exportet registry files

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Editing exportet registry files
Date: Sun, 03 Jul 2005 23:48:32 +0200

Jason Rumney <address@hidden> writes:

> address@hidden (Gaëtan LEURENT) writes:
>
>> For UTF-16 with signature, I agree, but UTF-8 could sometimes match
>> a Latin-1 file. For instance, "4×½=2" encoded in Latin-1 is valid
>> as a UTF-8 string. A friend of mine suggested "Try our new
>> exclusive WAZA® for just $0.02!" which is even meaningful in both
>> cases.
>
> Coming up with isolated theoretical problem cases should not stop us
> from doing what is correct in the other 99% of cases.

I think Gaëtan is arguing that we should not prefer UTF-8 in a Latin-1
locale.  This is pretty much a red herring: we were discussing the
UTF-16-with-signature encodings: there is no necessity whatsoever to
group their priority with UTF-8.

I agree that in a Latin-1 locale, Latin-1 should be preferred over
UTF-8 and vice versa as long as the buffers can be interpreted as
being valid in both encodings.