Re: Editing exportet registry files

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: Editing exportet registry files
Date: Fri, 01 Jul 2005 23:12:53 +0100

> Well, yeah, but FF and FE *are* valid characters in many encodings.

How common is it to have FF FE or FE FF as the first two characters in
text in any other encoding? Is it acceptable for Emacs to ignore the
most common case where those two bytes will appear in sequence as the
first two bytes of a file, because of some theoretical worry that it
might break a hypothetical case that I suspect will only exist in real
life if someone deliberately sets out to break auto-detection.

> Latin encodings for most european language environments are going to
> be higher up the priority list, for example. It makes no sense putting
> utf-* encodings before the others unless you know beforehand that
> you're going to deal with a lot of these files.

Nonsense. It is very unlikely that UTF-16-LE-WITH-SIGNATURE,
UTF-16-BE-WITH-SIGNATURE, or even UTF-8 will falsely match any Latin
(or cyrillic or probably Asian) encoding. They should be at the front
of the list.