Re: Default remote user name in tramp

From: Slawomir Nowaczyk
Subject: Re: Default remote user name in tramp
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 12:55:08 +0200

On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 23:08:38 +0200
Michael Albinus <address@hidden> wrote:

#> > Is there any chance to have the following small patch applied to
#> > tramp.el? It allows one to specify default user name for remote hosts.

#> I'm a little bit reserved applying this patch. Tramp 2.1, the
#> developpers version, has such a customization mean (both
#> `tramp-default-user´and `tramp-default-user-alist´). Tramp 2.0,
#> which is part of Emacs 22, has been frozen a while ago, and should
#> receive bug fixes only.

OK, I see... I wasn't aware Tramp is being developed outside Emacs
CVS. There is no point in applying my patch in this case.

#> So if you are couraged enough, you could use Tramp 2.1.

I have tried Tramp-2.1.3, but it doesn't work for me at all. I get
"format-spec: Invalid format string" error from macro at line 5783 of
tramp.el, in defun tramp-maybe-open-connection.

I will try to investigate further when I have time.

#> Or you could try to apply one of the recipes in
#> <http://www.gnu.org/software/tramp/#Frequently-Asked-Questions>.
#> This is from the Tramp 2.1 documentation (you'll find
#> `tramp-default-user´ there), but most of the recipes should be
#> applicable for Tramp 2.0 too.

A couple of those look interesting, although neither is as easy to use
as default user name :)

#> > Some time ago tramp used to take user-login-name as a default
#> > remote user name if it was not specified by "address@hidden". Now,
#> > however, default user name is nil -- which makes tramp not work
#> > unless user name is specified on every request, at least for me
#> > (I use "plink" method and it doesn't seem to recognise remote
#> > prompt "login as:" and keeps waiting for password prompt).
#>
#> That sounds like a bug. "login as:" would not be recognized as
#> login prompt, see `tramp-login-prompt-regexp´. Could you try to
#> customize that regexp to your needs, and see whether it works
#> better? Something like ".*ogin.*: *" I would recommend. Please tell
#> then whether it helps.

I tried that. When I do:

(setq tramp-login-prompt-regexp "[Ll]ogin\\( as\\)?: *")

my "login as:" prompt gets recognised and tramp proceeds trying to
login using my user-login-name... cool :)

Except there is, apparently, a bug which causes tramp to strip last
letter from user name (i.e. if my user-login-name is "slawek", tramp
tries to login using "slawe").

Setting user-login-name to "slawekX" seems to work for me at the
moment ;) I don't have any more time to hunt this bug right now, but
I will try to figure it out later.

Thanks for your ideas.

--
 Best wishes,
   Slawomir Nowaczyk

If the code and the comments disagree, then both are probably wrong.