Re: Default remote user name in tramp

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Default remote user name in tramp
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 12:50:49 +0200

Slawomir Nowaczyk <address@hidden> writes:

> #> So if you are couraged enough, you could use Tramp 2.1.
>
> I have tried Tramp-2.1.3, but it doesn't work for me at all. I get
> "format-spec: Invalid format string" error from macro at line 5783 of
> tramp.el, in defun tramp-maybe-open-connection.
>
> I will try to investigate further when I have time.

Please do so. If you know more, you might raise a bug report via
`tramp-submit-bug'.

> I tried that. When I do:
>
> (setq tramp-login-prompt-regexp "[Ll]ogin\\( as\\)?: *")
>
> my "login as:" prompt gets recognised and tramp proceeds trying to
> login using my user-login-name... cool :)

OK. I'll extend the regexp matching your case.

> Except there is, apparently, a bug which causes tramp to strip last
> letter from user name (i.e. if my user-login-name is "slawek", tramp
> tries to login using "slawe").
>
> Setting user-login-name to "slawekX" seems to work for me at the
> moment ;) I don't have any more time to hunt this bug right now, but
> I will try to figure it out later.

I cannot reproduce it here. Tramp uses the expression
(or user (user-login-name)) for sending the login name; I have no
idea why (and how) it should shorten it. What happens when you write
your user name in the file name, like "/ssh:address@hidden:/path"?

> Thanks for your ideas.

Best regards, Michael.