Re: Default remote user name in tramp

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Default remote user name in tramp
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 22:37:25 +0200

Slawomir Nowaczyk <address@hidden> writes:

> This probably isn't the right forum for this question, but I wonder
> why tramp sends Perl mime-encode and mime-decode scripts, even if
> working mimencode program is found on the host. Seems a bit wasteful
> for me, and I think (may be wrong) some earlier versions didn't do
> that.

Tramp 2.1.4, which I'm working on, has several optimizations. One of
them is a delayed transfer of scripts, that means a script is sent
at the time it is needed. This should speedup Tramp.

> #> I cannot reproduce it here. Tramp uses the expression
> #> (or user (user-login-name)) for sending the login name; I have no
> #> idea why (and how) it should shorten it.
>
> Neither do I. I did a quick check, but couldn't find the reason.

Again, a bug report will provide much more information. Please submit.

> I have no idea why, this may be related to the end-of-line character
> on Windows (there is a workaround for sending password, maybe
> something similar would help for user name as well).

Good guess. I will check it, when I'm back from my Sweden trip. (Hey,
I'll even pass Lund, but I won't have time to give local support :-)

Best regards, Michael.