RE: describe-bindings: ^L, bad order, naming

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: describe-bindings: ^L, bad order, naming
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 06:27:41 -0800

    > I do not see that when I try it.  Can you figure out what causes
    > them to appear?

    What we see is the key-translation-map.

Thanks for tracking this down.

    It is defined by encoded-kbd-mode, which is off on GNU/Linux
    (tested on X11), but on under GNU/OS
    X and on Windows. On the Mac, (keyboard-coding-system) is mac-roman,
    for example.  This causes encoded-kbd-mode to insert a bunch of
    bindings to encoded-kbd-self-insert-ccl. On various coding system
    types, it will insert bindings to one of the following

    encoded-kbd-self-insert-iso2022-8bit
    encoded-kbd-self-insert-iso2022-7bit
    encoded-kbd-self-insert-big5
    encoded-kbd-self-insert-sjis
    encoded-kbd-self-insert-ccl

    One solution to the issue might be to simply have describe_map (in
    keymap.c) not show any bindings to "self-insert" commands. Of course
    that would only make sense if such commands need not be seen in any
    situations. One such situation might be when an inheriting keymap
    overwrites a binding. I don't know if describe-bindings deals with this.

    Another solution would be to show the key-translation-map bindings
    only under the heading "`encoded-kbd-mode' Minor Mode Bindings:" and
    ensure that this group is folded away by default, so people can
    activate it when needed. (But please, do not require knowledge of
    outline mode. Use a widget or insert text like "press ... to show
    these bindings".)

The latter is far better - there is no reason to make exceptionsa and not
list all bindings.

Which would be clearer: "`encoded-kbd-mode' Minor Mode Bindings:" or
"Keyboard Coding Translation"? I'd prefer something like the latter, but I
don't really understand what this is. I'd just ask that those who do
understand try to come up with an intelligible name - something that someone
who would want to look at these bindings would recognize and something that
others would recognize that they don't want to bother to look at.