Re: Key-binding clash between gnus and calc

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Key-binding clash between gnus and calc
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 08:06:24 +0200

>>> However, this gave me a good idea: `C-x M-#', i.e. the current `M-#'
>>> remains unchanged, but with the initial `C-x'.
>>
>> What's good about that?  It is really contorted.
>
> It preserves some continuity with the old keybinding, which is
> nice.  But since I'm not the only person who thinks it's a bit
> awkward, something else might be in order.

It is not much more awkward then current `M-#'.  Surely it is not
easy to type, but I think that easy to type is not a requirement for
a key sequence to invoke calc.  There are many frequently used
commands in Emacs that require more easy to type keys, but still
miss them.  Just one example of frequently used command without
a convenient keybinding is `other-window'.  I think most users switch
windows more often than invoke calc.  It would be too shortsighted to
allocate short and easy to type keybindings to less frequent commands.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/