Re: Key-binding clash between gnus and calc

From: Jay Belanger
Subject: Re: Key-binding clash between gnus and calc
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2005 14:22:27 -0600

Robert J. Chassell <address@hidden> writes:

> On an American keyboard, the prefix `C-x*' is harder to type than
> `C-x\'.  (I do not know about other keyboards with default bindings.
> As far as I know, `C-x\' is undefined.)

How much harder do you find it?  Given that you agree that `C-x\'
should be avoided, do you find `C-x*' too awkward?

Robert J. Chassell <address@hidden> later wrote:

>>   Well, on a french keyboard, the `\' key is AltGR+8
>
> That is bad.  We should avoid it.  Perhaps we could follow Juri
> Linkov's suggestion:
>
>    Another variant ... is the equals sign.
>
>    `C-x =' is currently occupied by the help commands
>    `what-cursor-position' and `describe-char'.  But Kim recently
>    suggested to rebind them to `C-h c', so `C-x =' will be available
>    for calc.

Since `C-x=' won't be available, it seems to come down to `C-x*' and
`C-x\'.  (There are others available, but none of which seem to have
any advantages, and these two have gotten the green light.)
The awkwardness of `C-x\' on some keyboards seems to outweigh it's
advantage on the American keyboard.  The `C-x*' isn't as nice for me
as `C-x\', but I still don't find it that bad.
Unless there are serious objections, it looks to me like `C-x*' is the
best choice.

Jay