Re: Key-binding clash between gnus and calc

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Key-binding clash between gnus and calc
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 12:40:24 +0200

> The sequence `C-x*' has the slight advantage of using a math operator
> at the cost of being slightly more difficult to type.

Yep, `*' is mnemonic for calc.

Another variant related to calc that could be considered is the equals sign.
It is mnemonic for calc as well since it is used to indicate mathematical
equality, and easy to type.

`C-x =' is currently occupied by the help commands `what-cursor-position'
and `describe-char'.  But Kim recently suggested to rebind them to `C-h c',
so `C-x =' will be available for calc.

Using `C-x =' for calc also has the advantage that no new keybinding
will be occupied, so we could save `C-x *' for some future use that is
more needed.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/