Re: defcustom :version

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: defcustom :version
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2006 20:26:19 -0500

           22.1.  That is the main purpose of the :version keyword.  Of course,
           the fact that you get a 2811 line long Custom buffer limits the
           usefulness of this feature.

       When a group is new, what does it do?  Include all the options in
       that package, or include one item for that group?

    It includes only the one item for the group, except that all members
    of the group that have themselves a :version keyword are also included.

How many group members get included in that way,
at present?

That is, could we make the output substantially shorter
if we eliminated all the variables that are in groups
which are themselved mentioned?