Re: Info tutorial is out of date

From: Jay Belanger
Subject: Re: Info tutorial is out of date
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 12:03:38 -0500

"Drew Adams" <address@hidden> writes:

>     > Newbies are overwhelmingly used to using a mouse. Let them do
>     > that while they get the basics of Info.
>
>     Once they're used to it, they're less likely to change.
>
> They're already used to it - there are no more virgin users.

They're not used to using the mouse with Emacs.

>     > Save the teaching of why it's better to learn to use the keyboard
>     > for later.
>
>     When it will be too late for many.  If indeed it is better to use the
>     keyboard (and I think it is), it seems a bad idea to begin by teaching
>     bad habits, however easy these habits may be.
>
> I'm not suggesting we teach them *any* way to perform simple navigation
> (equivalent of `n' and `p'). On the contrary, my point was that we *need
> not* teach that. There is an obvious, simple way to navigate: click a link
> or navigation button.

Falling back on that is effectively teaching them that's the way to do
it, or at least allowing them to teach themselves thats how to do it.

> I'm not worried about the risk that users will never learn to use `n'
> instead of clicking the `Next' button. You are, apparently.

Yes; but on my list of worries, this is fairly minor.

> Info is a browser for finding and reading manuals. The argument for
> keyboard shortcuts is vastly overstated when it comes to browsing
> (vs editing).

I would guess that someone using a mouse (or keyboard) for one part of
Emacs would use it throughout.