Re: Info tutorial is out of date

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: Info tutorial is out of date
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2006 10:08:16 +0100

A wonderfullest Sunday morning, Drew!

On Sat, Jul 15, 2006 at 04:41:22PM -0700, Drew Adams wrote:
>     `n' and `p' are not shortcuts - they're the prime method of using
>     the functions.  Rather, the mouse equivalents should be regarded
>     as ambages.

> Another in the Mouseless-That-Roared camp, eh? A small, but very vocal
> and militant minority, apparently. Vent against he who seems to speak
> for the lousy moused masses of nasty newbies. It's OK; I can take it;
> I have to, for the noobs' sake ;-).

Well, there are about 100 people on the Emacs project list, and 3 have
taken exception to your m[o]usings.  Even assuming the other ~97, none
of whom has yet voiced an opinion on the matter, are confirmed habitual
mousers, that leaves 3% of users as mouse haters.  The point is, you
don't have any decent statistics and neither do I.

> Next week I'll do battle with those (even more ferocious) who hold
> that only UPPERCASE characters are pure, clear, truthful, and
> sufficient; lowercase being but a lying distraction designed to take
> our focus off the true aim of STRUGGLE against the dominance of
> MongrelMulattoMixedCharacterism. Compared to the luddite lowercasians,
> the mighty mouseless are a small piece of cake (or is it cheese?).

Drew, you've hit a raw nerve.  Whether one uses a mouse extensively or
not is a highly emotional thing, on a par with whether one uses
Microsoft Windows XP rather than GNU/Linux.  Your original post was a
rant, and you used lots of loaded words and phrases (like "shortcut").
You shouldn't be too surprised at getting flamed a little bit.

I think there are a lot more pure keyboard users out there than you do.
I also think that not encouraging frivolous mouse use is a Good Thing.

I'm not going through the rest of your reply in detail, because that
would just get repetitive, bore everybody to tears and make us both
unpopular on the list.  Suffice it to say I agree with your main points,
those which weren't about WIMPs and mice vs. real men.

[ .... ]

>     But looking at this tutorial, I too think it could do with a
>     little sprucing up.

> So let's spruce it.

Glad to end on a not of agreement.  :-)

--