Re: Info tutorial is out of date

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Info tutorial is out of date
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 11:29:04 +0900

"Drew Adams" <address@hidden> writes:
> Key bindings *are* shortcuts - what's wrong with that? 1) They are
> commonly called "keyboard shortcuts" by many people. 2) They are
> shorter (quicker) to use than clicking menus and links with a mouse -
> don't you agree? They are shorter (quicker) than using `M-x' - don't
> you agree? What is it about "shortcut" that sets you off?

It's a loaded term -- it implies that they are a "quick _alternative_"
to some other primary, more "proper," method of invoking the command.

[Surely you knew that... it's hardly a new topic in Emacs mailing lists...]

I think the term "shortcut", while common among the GUI set, actually
does do some harm by subtly encouraging people to think of menus as the
"standard" way of doing things.  For that reason, it really should only
be used in applications where that is indeed true, not in applications
like Emacs where it is most certainly not true.

-Miles
--
97% of everything is grunge