French quotes treated as parentheses

From: Sven Joachim
Subject: French quotes treated as parentheses
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 07:34:13 +0200

The French quotes (« and ») do have a `parentheses' syntax.  This has a
rather negative effect in German texts, since these use _reversed_
French quotes:

   Ich sagte: »Emacs ist toll!«
  (I said: "Emacs is great!")

The result is that they are wrongly highlighted with show-paren-mode on,
and "Mismatched parentheses" error messages appearing in the echo
area.  I finally managed to work around that by putting

(modify-syntax-entry (string-to-char "»") "(")
(modify-syntax-entry (string-to-char "«") ")")

into my .emacs, but would it not be better to give the French quotes a
more neutral syntax (say punctuation), to not discriminate German
against French users?