Re: French quotes treated as parentheses

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: French quotes treated as parentheses
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 15:42:09 -0400

    The result is that they are wrongly highlighted with show-paren-mode on,
    and "Mismatched parentheses" error messages appearing in the echo
    area.  I finally managed to work around that by putting

    (modify-syntax-entry (string-to-char "»") "(")
    (modify-syntax-entry (string-to-char "«") ")")

    into my .emacs, but would it not be better to give the French quotes a
    more neutral syntax (say punctuation), to not discriminate German
    against French users?

I think it would be better to set up a minor mode to switch to German
syntax, and connect this with a language environment.

Handa, what do you think?